After reading about the assessment process, follow the link at the bottom of the page to take the Entrance/Exit Assessment Exam for Computer Science majors. Please note that you may only take the test during the scheduled testing period. Access to the test will be forbidden any other time. Thank you for your patience.
Who has to participate in this assessment process?
All undergraduates are required by the Illinois Board of Higher Education to participate in the entry-level assessment process during their first semester of attendance as a Computer Science major. They are also required to participate in the exit assessment during their last semester.
Why do I have to do this?
While your reading, writing, and critical thinking skills are assessed by the UIS general assessment, it is important to also assess your Computer Science knowledge.
What is the assessment process like?
- Computer Science majors complete an entrance assessment exam when enrolled in CSC 305 their first semester.
- Students complete an exit assessment exam in CSC 405 during their final semester before graduation.
Do I need to study before taking the Assessment Exam?
You do not need to study. In fact, we prefer that you do not. The exam is designed to assess knowledge you should have when you graduate and not your current knowledge. You will take a similar exam during your final semester that will document your progress.
What happens if I don't do well on the assessment exam?
There are no passing or failing scores for the assessment process. Scores are used by the Computer Science Department to determine if we are helping our students meet specific learning objectives.
Are you ready?
The link below will take you to the Blackboard login page. To log in to Blackboard:
- Click the login button.
- Enter your NetID and password (this is the same information you use for your student e-mail), and click the Login button.
- You will be taken to a page that lists all the Blackboard courses in which you are currently enrolled. If you do not see CSC305 or CSC405 in the list you are not registered for the class.
- Click on the link for CSC305 to take the entrance assessment, or CSC405 to take the exit assessment
This exam will take approximately fifteen to forty-five minutes to complete.
Take the Entrance/Exit Assessment Exam
If you have any questions about the assessment process or this exam please talk to your Computer Science advisor or send email to Dr. Roger West.