I'm Admitted, Now What: First Steps
First Steps for New Students:
Write down your University Id Number and don’t lose it. You are required to put this on every e-mail exchange with the department at UIS and will be asked for it if you call the university.
Take note of the academic calendar, tuition/fees policies, drop/withdrawal dates, and other information at http://www.uis.edu/registration/registration/
Establish your netid and password
- This is required to register, access blackboard, access DARS, and activate your UIS e-mail account
- http://www.uis.edu/its/techsupport/passwords.html Go to this site to establish the netid
- If you have questions, contact the UIS Technology center by calling (217) 206-7357 or emailing email@example.com
Log into your UIS e-mail Account
- The link is on the UIS Homepage (www.uis.edu) Under QuickLinks
- Since academic e-mails contain confidential information, the department will only accept and communicate with UIS e-mail accounts. Please use this account for all university communication.
- Course information will only be sent to your UIS e-mail account. Please check it regularly
Run your Degree Audit System Report
- See the guide here: DARS Guide
- This report will list all classes that you have taken, are taking and should take.
- Please verify all future courses with your advisor to ensure that you aren't missing anything.
- Your advisor is listed at the top of your Degree Audit System report.
Select your classes: http://www.uis.edu/registration/onlinereg/
- On campus classes have a meeting day and time associated with them.
- Online classes have a time listed as TBA.
- Online students may not take on campus courses, on campus students are allowed to take online classes but may not enroll in them until 2 weeks before classes start.
- If you are in the Online Undergraduate Program you should have received an e-mail stating who your advisor is and what classes to take your first semester. If you did not, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are in the On Campus Undergraduate Program and have questions you can contact your advisor or the Department at email@example.com
- If you are in the Graduate Program and have been assigned prerequisite courses, you must take those your first semester.
- If you are in the Graduate Program and do not have any prerequisite courses you may start to select your courses based on your career goals.
Some classes require departmental approval.
- Generally 300, 400, and 500 level classes will require approval (the approval is on each class and not on the student personally)
- The following classes do not require approval: CSC 302, CSC 305, CSC 315, CSC 387, CSC 405, CSC 442
- To request approval you must send an e-mail from your UIS e-mail account to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The e-mail must contain your UIN, the course name, number and section letter (Example: CSC 471 A Ethics);
- If you do not list the section letter or send the crn instead of the required information, the department will not be able to grant the approval
- Due to the size of the CSC department, it may take 3-4 business days for a reply. Please be patient and once the department replies that you are approved, you can register.
Register for your classes: http://www.uis.edu/registration/onlinereg/
- All of our courses utilize the blackboard system for your classes. Your class will normally not be available until the week classes start.
- Blackboard Main page: https://bb.uis.edu/
- Blackboard User Guides: http://www.uis.edu/colrs/students/blackboard/
You are ready to be a student at UIS!