How to Apply
Online Undergr. Admission
Online Grad. Admission
Policies and Procedures
CPT & OPT Policy
Our program offers a master of science
(scientiae magister, S.M. or M.S.) in the field of computer science. This program's main emphasis is oriented toward software and is most appropriate for candidates interested in the design, analysis, and implementation of software programs. In addition to the software emphasis, we offer some courses in security and information assurance. These courses are appropriate for candidates interested in design, implementation and policy issues related to security and information assurance.
Program Requirements (32 credit hours = 8 courses)
- 4 courses at the 500 level (student choice)
- 3 courses at either the 400 (above 410) or 500 level (student choice)
- CSC 540 Graduate Research Seminar
- See the current and past course offerings.
Admissions Requirements for Full Admission
Eligibility to the Computer Science Masterís Program
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.70 on a 4.0 scale is required
- A completed program of study similar to a bachelorís degree in computer science
- All prerequisite courses completed
- Applicants who do not meet all entrance requirements may be granted conditional admission. This allows a student to complete 12 hours toward the degree. Grades of a 'B-' or better must be earned in all courses. Full admission is required before the student can continue beyond 12 hours in the CSC curriculum. Some entrance requirements may be waived for students who can provide evidence of advanced career experience.
- General Prerequisites:
- MAT 302 Discrete Mathematics
- MAT 113 Business Calculus or MAT 115 Calculus I
- MAT 121 Applied Statistics
- Computer Science Prerequisites:
- CSC 225 Computer Programming Concepts I
- CSC 275 Computer Programming Concepts I
- CSC 376 Computer Organization
- CSC 385 Data Structures and Algorithms
- CSC 388 Programming Languages
- CSC 389 Introduction to Operating Systems
Apply for Admission to the CSC Masterís Program
STEP 1: Complete and Submit the UIS Graduate Admission Application form
STEP 2: Turn in all required paperwork and documentation to the Office of Admissions.
We do not require a GRE score.
International Students Must Also Submit:
- Submit all official transcripts from every college or university attended to the Office of Admissions
- Pay application fee (cash and wire transfers are not accepted)
- Addition information for non-international applicants can be found here
- All documents should be submitted to:
- Office of Admissions
- University of Illinois Springfield
- One University Plaza, MS UHB 1080
- Springfield Il, 62703-5407
- For general information, campus tours, financial information, scholarship information, housing information, and application resources please visit: UIS Admissions Web Site.
STEP 3: Admission Decision
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores
- TOEFL: 550 PBT, 213 CBT, 79 iBT
- IELTS: 6.5 academic module
- Submit a Pre-Enrollment Heath Record Form which includes vaccination history
- Affidavit of Financial Support Form
- This form must provide verification of finances that reflect availability of a minimum of $33,867 to attend UIS.
- Deadlines for all submitted paperwork for International Students
- June 1st for Fall terms
- November 1st for Spring Terms
- April 1st for Summer Terms
- Full information is available here
- All paperwork must be completed to receive admission and an I20
- You can check the status of your application here.
- Applications can not be reviewed unless all transcripts, fees, and documentations have been turned in.
- Applications are prescreened in the Admissions department to verify minimum admission requirements are met.
- After pre-screening applications are sent to the Computer Science Department for review. The decision will be sent back to the Office of Admissions within 3 business days.
- The Office of Admissions will notify you of the decision.
If you have questions about the Computer Science program or the application process please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org